Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Run, Forrest, Run!"

Okay, so I am not Forrest, but I sure felt like him this morning! My friend Sierra and her husband Dan came over this morning. Why? Dan is a runner, and I am about to take a physical fitness test for the Sheriff's office...let's face it..the last time I ran...and ran well, was about four years ago when Jason and I were running four miles a day..we were trying to look good for our wedding..lol.
Anyway, Sierra was SO gracious to let me borrow her husband this morning, while she took a load off in the house and watched Colt for me. (Jason and Jacob took a trip to the game store.) I was a bit nervous...this man had just gotten done running 12 miles before he came over here...12 miles!!! I thought, "great...I am going to look like a complete fool in front of this guy!" Luckily, he was very understanding and and really nice about it.

We of course, started off by stretching..I have to be honest..I usually don't stretch as much if I am running by myself, but I knew I needed to change that. So we stretched..

I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in about 15 minutes. Sounds do-able, huh? Not so much...I thought I would die! But I didn't. Dan was really good at keeping me motivated and when I told him I felt like I needed to stop, he pushed me not to, or gave me tips to make it easier to continue running and be comfortable, but not stop. I wanted to.. hurt.. thank him for that! :)

I am proud to report that I ran this distance in like, 19 minutes...yes Dan and Sierra, I said 19, not 20! I was being a bit pessimistic about it...but by the time they got ready to leave (and after Dan corrected me a ga-zillion times) I was giving myself a little more credit! Dan also helped me with my sit-ups (which I was surprised I could still do!) and my push-ups. I hate push-ups. But I did them..fifteen of them..more than I think I have ever done in my entire life!

Dan is an exceptional runner! I was amazed at his ability to not even be out of breathe...how I wish I had that! But, he pointed something out...about my stretching. I was telling him how good of a runner he was, and that I could never be able to do anything that great...he told me how awesome it was that I was able to stretch to the extent I did (speaking about my flexibility.) I said "please...that's nothing, your running is great!" To which he responded, "yeah, but I have been working on this for like 7 or 8 years...it takes practice." "Just like your flexibility in your stretching." Wow...he was right...not to brag, but I ampretty darn flexible...even after my old age, having two kids, and not being anywhere near as active as I was ten years ago! I guess those 12 years of cheerleading and dancing paid off!

That really made me feel good. I get so down on myself sometimes for not having a "thing" about me that is kind of cool, or different...thanks Dan!

I am looking forward to getting up and running in the mornings, and making this part of my daily routine. I have always loved running..but never really pushed myself to do it. I felt so comfortable and loose after our run today..."light and airy" is what I called it. I felt empowered. It was awesome....and I am very grateful to both Dan and Sierra.

I know Sierra took some pictures, but I will have to wait until Monday to post them...I am pretty sure they are funny and you will get a kick outta them..so come back then to check it out!

Much love.

No comments: